Let’s be honest. The holidays can be stressful. So much so that we rush right through them without being able to actually sit back and enjoy them. It’s a shame! This year, I’m planning to do things differently. Here are my ten planning tips for the holidays!
1. Start the Christmas shopping early! I’m pretty bad at this. I have the intentions to finish my gift-buying early every year but so far it hasn’t happened. This year, I’m determined to! Ideally, I’d like to be done before Thanksgiving, though there may be some great Black Friday sales so we’ll see if that happens.
2. Traditions. Make them! Every year on Thanksgiving day my family heads to the Christmas Tree Farm to get our trees. My sister and her husband go, my brother, parents, grandmother, and us. It really is a family tradition! Last year was Kynlee’s first trip to the tree farm but she was still young. This year she’ll be able to understand a little more and I can’t wait!
(My parents with Kynlee)

3. Plan the meal. I hate waiting until the last minute to figure out what food needs to be fixed. If you’re hosting the meal (whether it’s Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.), plan it out ahead of time to relieve some stress off of yourself. You’ll also be able to share with others what they can bring in plenty of time so that they aren’t as stressed, too. They’ll appreciate it :).
4. Don’t wait until the night before to get groceries. There are many reasons why you shouldn’t do this but here’s two: 1) The stores are likely to be sold out of what you need. 2) Everyone and their momma will be at the store trying to get those last minute groceries. And I’ll bet there won’t be enough registers open at check-out. Just sayin’.

5. Make a list for Christmas card recipients. This is something that stresses me out every year. I don’t want to leave anyone out! It’s way better to have a list ready ahead of time, so that when you go to order Christmas cards, you know exactly how many you need!
6. Order your Christmas cards in plenty of time to get them mailed out before Christmas! This is serious. Last year, I failed to order enough cards this first time around and so by the time my other cards came in, they almost didn’t get mailed before Christmas! Don’t wait until the last minute – it really creates a lot of unnecessary stress. Check out Storkie Christmas cards – they have some cute designs!
7. Have a game plan! My husband and I are blessed to have the majority of our family in one town. However, that means we have several stops to make on Christmas to be sure we see everyone. Arranging your day out ahead of time will make things so much easier! Know what time you need to be at each place.
8. Leave cookies and milk for Santa. Kynlee is only 13 months right now but we will probably start this tradition this coming Christmas. She won’t remember it, but it’s still fun and I know she’ll be excited about it in years to come. Besides, it’ll give me an excuse to bake some cookies… (as if I needed one)!
9. Let others help you. It’s crazy how much we tend to take on at one time. I’m thankful to have a husband who is willing to help wherever he can! For example, if you end up waiting until the last minute to wrap presents, let your husband help! Or if you are hosting a meal for a ton of people, and they offer to bring a dish or two, let them. That goes for cleaning and getting the house ready, too! Get the hubby and kids involved. It doesn’t need to be all on one person’s shoulders.
10. Relax. Afterall, the holidays should be enjoyed, right? We can easily fall into the hustle and bustle of everything, but it’s important to take a step back and soak up each moment. Time flies by way too fast!
What tips do you have for preparing for (and enjoying) the holidays?
What tips do you have for preparing for (and enjoying) the holidays?




















0 comments:
Post a Comment
I love to receive your comments and feedback so please leave some!