Cold and flu season is quickly approaching. Every pharmacy in town is offering flu shots, along with the doctors' offices. Because my husband is a soldier, the flu shot is not optional for him – it is mandatory – and he received his last weekend. This year, however, my daughter and I will be forgoing our flu shots and protecting ourselves in other ways.
So, here are some tips to protect yourself and your family from the dreaded cold & flu season:
1. Don’t be afraid to go out in public. Seriously. Go to Wal-Mart, even. Your child(ren) need the opportunity to build their immune systems. Let their immune systems grow and learn to fight off germs. Use good judgment, though. Obviously, they shouldn’t be overexposed. It’s probably not a good idea to go visit someone who you know is sick with a cold or the flu.

2. Use disinfectants. Whenever a family member is sick, it’s important to use a disinfectant like Lysol to clean common areas of the house like door knobs, toilet handle, etc. Often times we will sneeze or cough into our hands, and then grab onto something before washing our hands – thus, transferring germs.

3. Get plenty of Vitamin C. Drink your OJ! You’ll be glad you did. It won’t cure the common cold but it will help prevent more serious complications from occurring. It is also considered to be one of the safest and most effective nutrients.

4. Be prepared ahead of time. I think many of us are guilty of waiting until the last minute (as in – the moment it’s needed) to purchase items for the cold & flu season. Being prepared ahead of time will eliminate a lot of stress and also give you the opportunity to think about less obvious things besides disinfectants – like Kleenex, vitamins, etc. This is also the perfect time to clean out your medicine cabinet; throw out expired meds and make room for new meds!

5. Take your vitamins! I’ve gotten really bad about this, but I’m trying to get better with the flu season approaching. I was sure to take them every day while pregnant and breastfeeding, but since then I’ve fallen off the wagon. Vitamins are very important for our bodies, though, and are definitely a good prep for the upcoming season of sickness! My personal fav are the Flintstones Gummies… and yes, adults can take these! (two a day).
There are so many ways to prepare for the cold & flu season and there are several tips to consider in order to protect you and yours. I’ve listed just a few. You can also check out my this moment post here to see items that I believe are important to be prepared for the cold & flu season.
What does your family do to prepare for cold & flu season?

Disclaimer: I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Lysol blogging program, for a gift card worth $40. For more information on how you can participate, click here.



















0 comments:
Post a Comment
I love to receive your comments and feedback so please leave some!