After months of worrying about it (10+ to be more accurate) it has finally happened. Last night, Kynlee fell off the bed. I cried and cried – definitely more than she did.
Here’s what happened: She woke up around 2am in her crib and couldn’t be coaxed back to sleep easily (or maybe I was just too tired to try?) so I brought her into bed with us. About thirty minutes later I had to get up to use the bathroom so I nudged Luke, told him what I was doing and asked him to watch her.
*For some reason whenever she is in bed with us and I happen to move - so does she. She is like my little magnet. This happens if she is awake or asleep. Several times (while awake) she has made a mad dash for the edge of the bed only stopping by one of us grabbing her.*
One of the more semi-successful “mad dashes to the edge of the bed” had already happened once before while Luke was getting ready for work and I had gone into another room. She nearly hit the floor then, but daddy was able to rescue her just in time.
So. I knew it was only a matter of time. I also knew that this meant we HAD to watch her – at least until she could understand HOW to get off the bed without face-planting. Before I left the room, I saw Luke put his arms around her so I felt sure she would be fine for just the little while I was gone. Well. I was wrong.
A minute later (if that) I heard a little giggle and then BOOM. I screamed, “Baaaabbbbyyy!!!” and immediately I knew what had happened. I started sobbing. Luke jumped up and got her. She had crawled to the end of the bed and fallen off there. She’s got a little circle of carpet burn on her forehead but other than that she’s fine. I think it scared her more than anything. Luke and I took turns holding her for a long time before going back to sleep. He’s still pretty upset and blaming himself but I just keep reminding him that she’s okay and it was bound to happen sooner or later. Still, though, it’s heartbreaking for something like that to happen to our baby!
Have any of your (younger) children ever fallen off the bed? At what age?




















J12m flipped over the arm of our recliner a week ago. He was lying over my arm so I was holding him, but not good enough I guess...He flipped his feet back really fast and just fell before I could catch him. (Thank God we have carpet). I jumped up and got him, but he didn't even cry. (I think I would have felt better if he would have). I was almost in tears that I couldn't catch him in time, but I know that accidents happen.
ReplyDeleteGirl, don't sweat it, it happens. Actually the old story goes that it's bad luck if the DON'T fall off the bed before age 1. So good luck is sure to come your way!!!
ReplyDeleteWe can't be sure if he "fell" off the bed or if he was "placed" on the floor, but when our twins were about 2 weeks old (and they were born at 36 weeks) my husband woke up from sleeping on the little bed we set up in the nursery where he had been cradling our smallest son (about 6 pounds at this point) and little Wyatt was sleeping soundly on a nest of blankets on the floor next to the bed. It was only about a foot drop and he was still swaddled, but we still have no idea how he got there.
ReplyDeleteOther than a few successful attempts at jumping out of the crib (again, Wyatt) we've only had one roll-out and it happened to Lincoln this past weekend. He was sick, we let him sleep in our bed. We were watching a movie in the next room and heard a thud as he knocked his head on the nightstand on the way down. He was fine in about 2 minutes but I still surrounded him with pillows, just in case he started to roll again.
Oh so sorry! That is always scary. My daughter fell off the bed when she was 3 and broke her collarbone. I'm so glad Kynlee is ok!
ReplyDeleteO girl, I am so sorry you had to experience that, I know how heart breaking it is when our little's get hurt...but like you said... those things will happen.
ReplyDeleteOh, so sorry that happened! My youngest hasn't fallen out yet, but both my others did around a year of age. Glad she's okay!
ReplyDeleteThis happened to my 9 month old 2 weeks ago. I had pulled her into bed to nurse her because she was having a restless night. I fell asleep nursing her and she rolled right off in her sleep. It was AWFUL! Our bed is high and we have hardwood floors. She barely cried, I think it just startled her, but I cried and cried and cried. I had been so careful in the last couple of months because I knew it could happen. And it did.
ReplyDeletehugs for you!