Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

2 Months Old!

This past Wednesday, October 27th, Baby K was 2 months old! 
Her 2 month check up was on Friday (the 29th) - she had to get 3 shots and an oral vaccine! 
I'll never forget those cries screams. Poor thing :(...

She weighed 8 lbs., 2 ounces and is 21.5 inches long. 
At one month old she weighed 7 lbs, 4 ounces and was 20 inches long.
She has grown 1.5 inches in the past month but only 14 ounces. 

Only 14 ounces. In an entire month. She (the NP) began asking how often K eats and how much she eats (every 3 hours during the day, 4 ounces if it's pumped into a bottle... not sure how much she's getting when she nurses...for those who are wondering). She then explained that Kynlee's weight percentile had dropped since her one month appointment, and that's not something they like to see happen.

Ohhh I just knew what was coming out of the NP's mouth next. They wanted to see her again in a week...and...I should exclusively pump until then (& supplement with formula as needed). This way we'll be able to tell exactly how much she is eating per feeding and see if she gains more weight that way. A WHOLE WEEK without nursing my baby??? Yeah, right.

I am still nursing her in the mornings and sometimes at night, too. I just can't stop nursing all together because I'm afraid that if I go a whole week without nursing her then she will lose interest. 
I truly cherish their advice/opinions, and I am feeding her by bottle most of the day.... but not the entire day.
There's just no way I feel comfortable with that. I feel that keeping 1-2 nursing sessions per day is what's best for us in this situation.

Hopefully after her appointment this week I can go back to nursing as often as Kynlee wants and only giving the bottle when I choose to. 

Another reason I am hanging on to those morning/evening sessions is because I truly feel like she is getting full when she nurses. Yes, the lack of weight gain may say otherwise, but Kynlee and I had just gotten into a rather comfortable nursing routine and I can tell I'm producing more milk. 

I keep her stimulated the whole time she is nursing and I don't let her fall asleep (if she begins to doze off, I rub my finger on her cheek and she starts back nursing). I can hear the milk coming out, I can hear her gulping it, and I hear her swallowing. She nurses for about 30 minutes and then begins to show signs of being full. 

So why, then, is there not a significant amount of weight gain? 
This is our prayer request this week. 
We are praying for weight gain and that I will be able to continue nursing our sweet baby. 
Of course, we will ultimately do what's best for her - even if that means exclusively bottle feeding from here on out.

Halloween post to come tomorrow (at least that's the plan)...

 Now, here are a couple of pics in her 2-month onesie (once again, she wasn't too happy taking pics, but still a cutie)! 





Happy November!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive your comments and feedback so please leave some!