Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Flying With a Baby


I am in the process of finalizing our Labor Day weekend plans. It’s less than 2 months away now so I really need to get on it. We’ll be spending a long weekend in Texas (the Dallas/Ft. Worth area) with my best friend, her husband, & our two God-daughters! Since we live in Georgia – we’ll be flying. I have sky miles to use and a companion flight certificate that expires at the end of September, so this was the perfect opportunity for us to use it!

Although Luke and I have both flown several times before, it will be our first time flying together. I’m super excited about it! It will also be Kynlee’s first plane ride. Yes, you read that right. Kynlee is going with us. She will have just turned 1 a week prior to the trip. Are we crazy? Is she going to scream the whole flight or will she be a perfect (napping) angel?

I am so nervous about keeping her occupied if she does happen to be awake. I need recommendations/advice on what kind of toys we should take on the plane. I’ll definitely have water, juice, & snacks on hand for her, too. Is it wrong to wanna give her a dose of Tylenol before we board? :-)

The plan is to wear her in our Boba Carrier. I’m told that I will have to take her out while going through security and possibly for take-off/landings. That isn’t a big deal to me since it’s easy to get on and off. (Of course if she is sleeping while we’re on the plane I’d rather not have to take her out!)

We’ll be flying out of a small airport about 45 minutes away from our house as a connecting flight. That will definitely make things a bit easier since we can check all of our luggage & go through security THERE, instead of in the hustle and bustle that is the Hartsfield-Jackson airport in Atlanta.

I’m still just so nervous and unsure of everything. I’d really love to hear your personal experiences on this… the good, the bad, the ugly!


Have you flown with a baby/toddler/child before? How did you keep them entertained?


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. They will almost 100% tell you to take her out during take off and landing. Legally they have to tell you that. I found it nice to have her sit on my lap and eat puffs on the tray or play with toys on the tray, and when she napped she just laid across me. I found getting the Boba on and off in the small seat area hard (it would be hard with any carrier but a sling I think), so I just took it off when we got to our seat and didn't bother trying to get it back on until we landed.

    Hope you have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we flew with my son for the first time when he was 6 months. We werent' allowed to wear him AT ALL. ( in case of emergency landing, you need to be able to hold him away from your body asap ). He did great, which I think was because we flew at bedtime. As soon as the plane engine started, he fell asleep. He woke up for our connecting flight, but once again fell asleep right away.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I started replying to this post and it got kind of long, so decided to write a post about in on my own blog instead lol:

    http://createdwithlove.typepad.com/lifeasweknowit/2011/07/tips-for-flying-with-babies.html

    My daughter is nearly 5 now, but I flew a lot with her when she was a baby, and I guess I'll fly some with her brother too, it just hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just flew alone with my 10 month old. I was so nervous...but it was cake ;o) I brought several toys but she ended up playing with a 4th of July Necklace I looped around the handle pf the tray in front of us for a while. I would recommend using a sippy keeper as a toy keeper in case any are dropped. Also make sure she has a passi or is eating while taking off and landing for ear purposes. She did really well napping. She fell asleep looking out the window. Don't stress it will go great!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments and feedback so please leave some!