Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Now that I'm a mom - I Get It.


Last night we had some EXTREMELY bad weather come through.

Growing up my mom would always wake us kids up if bad weather was coming through - no matter what time it was - so that we could all get in the hall or at least in the same room. I can't tell you how many nights we made pallets to sleep on while waiting for the storm to pass through. I remember as I got older how annoyed I was to be woken up and told to come downstairs (out of my comfy bed, mind you) to sleep on the floor. Um, not my cup of tea.

Now that I'm a mom - I get it

I already knew about the bad weather coming before we went to bed last night but I didn't know exactly how bad it was supposed to be or what time it would be arriving. Around 1:50am this morning my phone was ringing. My first thought was that I had rolled over on my phone while sleeping and called someone on accidence, who was calling me back. I looked at my phone, saw it was mom and answered - still half asleep.

She warned me that bad weather was coming and that a tornado had been spotted/touched down in the next county over. At that time it wasn't even raining at our house so I went back to sleep. At 2:27am I received a text from my mom that said, "Tornado warnings all around us   love you."

Shortly after my mom sent that text I was woken up by horrific winds, huge bolts of lightning, and really loud thunder. Now normally I enjoy a good thunderstorm but this? This was wayyy out of my comfort zone, especially now that Kynlee is here. I was mainly worried because we have HUGE trees surrounding our house that could easily be taken down by the right amount of wind or lightning. I woke Luke up (who was still sleeping through it all) and we began praying that the storm would pass quickly and not leave behind any damage. I was so glad to already have K in the bed beside me.

Now that I'm a mom - I get it.

Then the rain got harder. I mean it began to POUR. We live on a river and so I was just imagining how much it was rising and getting closer to the house. About 3am we lost power. It wasn't too hot in the house, thankfully, but we had a fridge and freezer full of food. Luckily, we had bottled water leftover from our beach trip so we were able to make K a bottle this morning and then we went to town for breakfast. When we got back home around noon, our power was back on!! I think the food is still okay because we didn't open the fridge or freezer while the power was out. More importantly, we didn't have any substantial damage from the storm. 

Basically I wrote all of this to say:
Thanks, Momma, for caring so much about us and always warning us about bad weather coming, even though we're no longer under the same roof. We love you tons!

Now that I'm a mom - I get it.


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. That definitely doesn't sound fun! Happy to hear all is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I don't mind thunderstorms every once and a while, but I'd be scared by that, too! Glad everything/everyone is okay.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments and feedback so please leave some!